Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes made w/ White Velvet Cake

Photobucket

White velvet is becoming my most-requested cake/cupcake recipe.  Even though I didn't create the recipe, I probably shouldn't share it... but who am I kidding?  You know you'd rather ask me to bring this to your party than make it yourself!  ;)
In addition to the corndog cookies I mentioned in an earlier post, I also brought cupcakes to our block party.  BUT, just like I couldn't "just" bring cookies, I had to make them look like something else.  I also wanted to bring cupcakes that looked like something else.  And just like the corndog cookie, I got this idea from somewhere in the internet world.  I had downloaded the photos to my desktop but didn't save the link.  So not my original idea but I can't credit the one to came up with it because I don't know who it was.

I can't believe I'm sharing these photos because this was kind of a Cupcake Fail.  It was so fucking hot in my kitchen (despite the fact that the rest of the house was a comfortable 72 degrees) and the buttercream icing kept melting.  I'd stick it in the freezer for a few minutes but then it would get too hard to pipe out so I'd have to set it out, then it would start to melt again.  Ugh.  THEN, I noticed when I was decorating that some of the cucake bottoms were burned.  Just the bottoms.  I never would have noticed if I hadn't put a dot of icing on the bottom to "glue" them to the cake board.  The rest of the cupcake was totally fine.  Tops were not dry (ok maybe a teeny bit dry) and didn't taste burnt.  I'm guessing one of my cupcake pans was touching the side of the oven.  (Note to all of you: this is why you aren't supposed to let your pans touch the side of the oven).

But I spent so much time on these damn cupcakes THERE WAS NO WAY I WASN'T BRINGING THEM!!!!!!!!!!  Deal with it!!!!!!!  Ah so much cupcake rage going on here...  Did I mention that we had to get up at 5am this same morning to drive all the way out to Munster for my daughter's swim meet????  Then drive aaaaaaall the way back home so I could put all this together?
Ok, enough excuses.  Let's get to the photos and recipe.

Bake your cupcakes and let them cool.  You could use your favorite flavor of cupcakes for this idea.  I chose the white velvet because I thought it would look better with a white base.

I made a buttercream icing and divided it into 3 bowls.  I tinted two of them to look like strawberry and mint choc chip.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


By now they're all melting and gloppy.  The green was really too melty.  But eh, still kind of cute.  At this point, I just threw frosting on the rest of the cupcakes without decorating.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. you might have thought these were a fail because of the melting icing but I think thats what turned them into a giant win! Much more belilevable looking "icecream". Nice job...I hope you don't mind if I out this into my idea file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, please do! I totally horked it from someone else. And she probably horked it from someone too.
    Ugh, it was so hot and muggy here (Indiana) yesterday. Having the oven on made the kitchen completely miserable. I did think that it looked like melty ice cream. But you know how it is when you have that "perfect" vision in your head.

    ReplyDelete