Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Toothpick Cake for Reid's birthday

Photobucket

Ok, so my husband's family makes this cake they call "toothpick cake."  It's kind of famous within their family.  Reid's grandmother came up with it.  It's a boxed mix chocolate cake with a homemade cooked caramel icing.  It really is quite fabulous.  The reason it's called toothpick cake is because she couldn't keep the gooey icing from sliding off the cake and taking the top layer with it.  So she stuck toothpicks in it to hold it all together.  Reid's mom also makes the family toothpick cake.  Growing up, they had no air conditioning in their house and with Reid's birthday in July, she literally had to sit in the fridge with the door open to frost it so it didn't melt off as she was doing it.   Reid loved this cake as a kid because it was fun to him to pick out the toothpicks.  Ah, the things that little kids find amusing!  As an adult he still loves it because it tastes so good.

So anyhoo, one of the first birthdays we spent as a married couple Reid asked me if I would make him toothpick cake.  So I called his mom to get the recipe.  I immediately saw the problem- they made the caramel icing with margerine instead of butter.  No wonder it was so runny!  So I made my first batch with butter and it was a solid (pun totally intended) success.  I have made this for him every year since wtih an exception here and there, like the year I started getting so many requests for my oreo cake.  He had to have an oreo cake that year.  But we are back to basics once again and all is well in Birthdaycakeland.

But you know me- I can't make the dreaded BOXED MIX CAKE that he grew up with.  I have a from-scratch cake that I now make.  And this cake has a story too.  Last year my daughter brought home a book from the school library called The Bake Shop Ghost.  It's about a ghost that lived in a bakery and wanted a chocolate cake.  Tallulah asked me if we could make a chocolate cake from scratch.  Heck yeah we can!

Cake inspiration #1: Reid's grandmother (Nana).  Can you see her buried under those great-grandchildren?
Photobucket

Cake inspiration #2
Photobucket


First the cake...

Get out your ingredients.
Photobucket


Spray and line your pans with parchment.
Photobucket

Melt your chocolate and butter over a very low heat.  Make sure you use good-quality chocolate.  The recipe states that you can use bittersweet or semi sweet.  I just LOVE that dark chocolate flavor.  I recommend Ghirardelli 60% chocolate chips.  They are fab.  If you prefer it a bit sweeter, then use semi sweet.
Photobucket

Mix your dry ingredients in your mixer.
Photobucket

Beat your eggs like they owe you money.  Not really- just beat them lightly.
Photobucket


Once your chocolate looks like this, it's done.  It shouldn't even be really hot, just a little warm.  If it's too hot, let it cool a bit or you'll end up with scrambled eggs in your batter.
Photobucket

Mix water, vanilla and eggs together then pour into dry ingredients.
Photobucket

Wisk it all together.
Photobucket

Pour into prepared pans.
Photobucket

While the cake bakes, watch your husband and kids play the new Mario sports video game he got for his birthday.  Serioulsy, I don't know who is more obsessed with the Wii- Reid or the kids!!!
Photobucket

Looks done to me!!!
Photobucket


Caramel icing
Photobucket


Melt butter in a small saucepan.  Add brown sugar and milk.  Boil gently while stirring.
Photobucket


Let sugar mixture cool for 10 minutes.   Look at how dark and yummy it looks!
Photobucket


Blend into powdered sugar.
Photobucket


Beat until smooth.
Photobucket


Trim the rounded part off the top of one cake and lay it cut side down.  I always put waxed paper down on the cake plate so I don't slop all over it.
Photobucket


Spread frosting on bottom layer.
Photobucket
Photobucket


Put top layer on, flat side down (don't trim this one unless you prefer a perfectly smooth, flat top).  Frost the sides.  Just spackle it on.  This frosting gets firm quickly.  Well, not FIRM.  It's... I don't even know how to describe it.  It's still creamy even when it's dry but it just sets up really fast.  It's magical.
Photobucket

Glop on the top layer.  Try not to drool.  The smell of the warm buttery caramel is still in the air and right under your nose.
Photobucket

It's impossible to make this a pretty cake unless you can work very fast.  To me it makes no difference.  At least not with this cake.  The flavor makes up for the non-smoothness.
Photobucket


When you discover your candle supply is low, dig into your daughter's leftover candles.  Hubby won't mind as long as THIS cake is under them.
Photobucket


Birthday person gets to choose their cake plate first.  Then everyone else gets to pick.
Photobucket


Make a wish!
Photobucket


Plain vanilla ice cream is the perfect match for this sweet, rich, dense cake.
Photobucket


I didn't think to make perfect, clean slices for photos.  But just look at it's chocolately goodness staring at you!!!!!  I swear it is moist and awesome.  My horrible camera flash washes everything out.
Photobucket


Yes, yesterday it was all about Reid.  But now that nonsense is over, let's get back to ME.
Photobucket



The men of Winterfell approve of this entry.
Photobucket









Caramel Icing

2/3 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar (dark looks best but light works just as well)
1/2 c. milk
1 pound powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter in pan.
Add sugar and milk, bring to boil.
Stir constantly while boiling gently for 5 minutes.
Cool for 10 minutes.
Blend in powdered sugar and vanilla.  Beat until smooth.




5 comments:

  1. hahaha...I love hearing the stories behind the recipes...and like your Mom, I too have had to do some "icing in the fridge" (but you know you're loved if you can get us to bake in the hot summer with no air-conditioning) I will have to give these recipes a try (if it ever cools off) Speaking of heat though..I have to ask, where did you get your lemonade dispenser? I LOVE it! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I got it at a collectibles store in town called Simple Treasures. They lady had it for several years and gave my husband a great deal on it (it was a bday present for me a couple of years ago). I saw it in a Martha Stewart magazine last summer too! I have never used it for actually dispensing lemonade. I'm afraid someone will break the faucet thingie on it. So I store it in the winter with all my summery decorations then bring it back up again in the summer. :o)
    Ugh, I would die without a/c. Where do you live? We're getting 96 degree temps this week here in Indiana!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am dying to make this cake. I don't know if I am missing this or not.....Do you bake on 350 degrees?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 350. Sorry I haven't been here in forver to see this comment!
      :o)

      Delete
  4. This. Looks. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete